Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, January 20, 2012

I live in the south but I wasn't born here. I'm a California girl at heart so grits are not normal to me. I do not NOT like them but I have to have them gussied up to enjoy. There's a restaurant here that serves them with shrimp...yummy! But to eat a plain bowl of grits...to me, is like eating paste. So I made this little casserole as a side dish and we enjoyed it. Different versions are all over the place..but this is mine. Easy, fast and tasty! Don't say you hate grits until you've tried them all fancy-dancy!!


Chili Cheese Grits Casserole


2 cups milk
1/2 cup quick grits
1 egg - slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups grated cheese ~ divided use
1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.

In a medium saucepan, heat milk to boiling. Add grits and butter and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes until grits thicken.

Beat the egg in a small bowl and then add a little of the hot grits to temper the egg. Then add the egg mixture to the grits in the saucepan. Stir until well combined.

Stir in the salt, pepper, 1 cup of grated cheese and green chilies.

Pour into prepared dish and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.

Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until bubbly. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 4 - 5

 
The line-up.


 
Boil the milk...then add the grits and butter. 
Cook for about 5 minutes.


 
Add a beaten egg and stir.


 
Then add the cheese, salt, pepper and green chilies. 
Stir, then....


 
...add to a small casserole dish.


 
Sprinkle with more cheese.


 
Then bake it up!


0 comments:

Post a Comment