Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, January 20, 2012

This week's casserole introduces bratwurst! Are you a fan? I'm not a huge lover of bratwurst, but I have to say it was pretty good in this cassrole. The potato mixture was warm and creamy then with the added meat, it was very filling. It made quite a bit, too. I split it into two pans..one to send home with my daughter and one for us. But you could divide it between two pans and freeze one to cook later. I think Kielbasa would be great in this, too!






Potato and Brats Casserole




1 30-ounce bag frozen shredded hasbrowns - slightly thawed
6 - 8 bratwurst - coin sliced (1 pound Kielbasa, sliced)
1 small onion - diced
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1 cup milk
2 cups sour cream
1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray

In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in a little olive for about 5 minutes. Add sliced bratwurst and cook until meat is cooked though.

In a large bowl, combine hashborwns, cooked veggies and meat, salt and pepper, milk and 2 cups of the cheese. Toss to combine.

Pour mixture into prepared pan. Top with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10.

Serves 6 - 8

 
 The ingredients!


 
Saute the veggies a bit.....

 
..then throw in the meat and cook until the meat in done.

 
Toss everything together EXCEPT two cups of cheese.

 
Pour it into your prepared pan(s).

 
Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake it up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment