Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Thursday, January 26, 2012

I was looking for something fun to make for ice cream. I saw a tv show the other day where these little cups were done but they used store bought cookie dough. I have a sugar cookie recipe that I love that worked great for these little guys. This is something fun to make for a kids party but we enjoyed them just to snack on. We ate some and I put the rest in the freezer so I can pull them out for a quick little "something sweet" when I don't have time for a full-on dessert. The options are endless when it comes to making them, decorating them and filling them. So fun!

Sugar Cookie Cups


1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream sugars with butter and shortening.

Add egg mix well.

Add dry ingredients and mix well then add vanilla.

Scoop into 1 inch balls and place dough balls into well greased mini muffin tins.

With the end of a wooden spoon, press dough down slightly.

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until light golden brown. Do not underbake as you want the cookie cups to be sturdy enough to get out of the pan and to hold their shape. The cookies will puff up in the oven so you may have to use your wooden spoon again to achieve the cup shape while they are fresh out of the oven.

Allow cookie cups to cool for 10 minutes, then with a knife, gently remove them from the pan and allow to cool on cookie rack.

Place 1 cup of chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat chips at 30 second intervals until melted.

Dip the tops of each cookie cup into melted chocolate, then dip into chopped nuts, non-perils, sprinkles or any decor you like, if desired. Allow chocolate to harden then add one small scoop of ice cream. Sprinkle with more decorations and serve with a little drizzle of ice cream topping. And a cherry! Don't forget the cherry!



The ingredients. DISREGARD THE 
BAKING POWDER!! THAT SHOULD 
BE CREAM OF TARTER!!!

 
Combine the sugars and 
butter and shortening.

 
Add the egg.


 
The add the dry ingredients, 
then the vanilla and mix well.

 
In small muffin tins, put a scoop of the dough in each cup. 
If you don't have one of these handy dandy little tools, 
don't worry. Just use the handle of a wooden spoon.


 
Here are two little cups. 
The left one was made with my little tool 
and the right one was done with a wooden spoon handle.


 
Bake 'em up! 
Make sure they get a little more 
done so they hold up. Let them cool in the 
pan before taking them out. See how they've puffed up? 
I took my tool and mashed them down 
again while they were still hot.


 
Melt your chocolate chips and get your sprinkles ready.


 
Turn the cookie cup upside down 
and dip the tops into the chocolate.


 
Then dip them into the sprinkles of your choice.


 
Look at all these cuties!!


 
So fun!! I love these!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment