Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Thursday, January 26, 2012

I love a good muffin, don't you? Sometimes there's nothing that hits the spot more than a muffin warm from the oven. And these little guys are perfect in every way. They're easy to throw together and taste cinnamon-y and delicious! Make 'em big...make 'em small. They freeze great, too!

Cinnamon Spice Muffins



1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with muffin cups.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and butter and beat well.

Add eggs and beat another minute or so.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir with a whisk to combine.

Add the flour and buttermilk alternately to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour.

Divide mixture into 12- 15 muffin cups. Sprinkle with nut topping. (recipe follows)

 
Here's what you'll need. 
I don't normally keep buttermilk on hand 
but I DO keep this buttermilk stuff 
in my fridge for recipes. Works great!! 
You can find it the baking aisle of the grocery store.


 
Combine the butter and sugar well. 
Then add the eggs and beat well.


 
Mix in the dry ingredients.


 
You want a smooth batter like this.


 
Plop the batter into your muffin cups.


Nut topping

1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over muffin batter in cups.

Bake muffins for 20 - 25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Makes 12 - 15 regular sized muffins or 6 - 8 large. (If making large muffins, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 5 - 10 minutes longer.)

 
Here's what you'll need for the topping.


 
Mix it well then sprinkle by generous 
amounts over the muffins. 
The muffin tops will expand and you want 
to make sure you have enough topping 
over the entire surface of the muffin.


 
See? Like this. 
You might think you're over doing it, but you're not. 
Trust me.

 
See? I told you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment