Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, August 20, 2010

Gramma Tacos

By her own admission, my mother-in-law does not profess to be the world’s greatest cook. Raised in a home where her mother and grandmother did all the cooking, she didn’t really have to learn to cook until she married my father-in-law. My MIL was a city girl all the way and when she married my FIL, he took her to live in an old farmhouse that was ten miles from the nearest grocery store. She had to learn to cook for a farmer. They lived in a small, south-eastern Arizona town (where they still live today...except they live in town now) where there were lots of Hispanics. One kind Hispanic woman that lived near-by took my non-cooking mother-in-law under her wing and taught her how to cook tacos, among other things. And in turn, my sweet MIL showed me how to make tacos. It’s one of the things I look forward to when we go visit my husband’s parents. (Okay...I admit, one of the things that make them taste so good is the fact that I don’t have to make them.) And the reason we call them “Gramma Tacos” is because I cook tacos a few different ways and when my kids were little, this was the way I let them know what kind of tacos we were having for dinner…the kind Gramma made! Regardless of what they’re called, they ARE good. And here they are for you! Tasty little pockets of savory goodness. Enjoy.


Gramma Tacos

1 lb lean ground beef
12- 15 corn tortillas
garlic salt

Oil
Grated cheddar cheese

Pour about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet and heat on medium-high. (That's about a "6" on my stove.) Spread one half of a corn tortilla with about 3 tablespoons of ground beef. Sprinkle with garlic salt. You want the meat thin-ish so it will cook through and the tortilla won't burn. Place tortilla with meat into hot oil and let fry until tortilla is golden brown....about 2 minutes or so. Flip tortilla over to cook the other side and let cook another 2 minutes or so. Drain on paper towels. Open up one side of the taco and sprinkle with grated cheese. Let set in warm oven until all tacos are cooked. Serve with El Pato (found in the mexican food aisle of the grocery store). We don't put anything on our tacos except cheese and El Pato, but you can dress yours up with lettuce, tomatoes or guacamole.

Just these three ingredients...that's all you need
A little beef on a corn tortilla
Remember to put the meat side on top to hold down the tortilla
Look at all the little guys....
Almost done
Puttin' in the cheese
A drizzle of El Pato and you're golden!

0 comments:

Post a Comment