Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, August 20, 2010

Awesome Sesame Chicken

I love Chinese food. When we lived in California, there was one restaurant near our house that had THE best sesame chicken. I ordered it every time I went there. When we moved to SC, I found the Chinese food to be somewhat lacking. Similar to the Mexican food here. Good? Not so much. But no more!! I found this recipe and it's ALMOST as good as what I had in CA. Yum! I think the only thing that would make it better would be some crab meat wontons to go with it. Hmm...I need to find a recipe for THOSE! But until then....enjoy the sesame chicken.

Awesome Sesame Chicken




Chicken:

8 chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
2 cups self rising flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk

Pour enough oil in a fry pan to come half way up the sides. Let oil heat on medium heat.

Place chicken chunks in a large bowl. Beat eggs and buttermilk together and pour over chicken. Let set for 30 minutes or so. Place flour and salt in a large zip top bag. Put 10 – 12 chicken chunks at a time in flour mixture, shake well, then place in oil. Fry chicken chunks for 7 – 8 minutes until crispy. Drain on paper towels.

Sesame Glaze:

1 14-ounce can chicken broth
1 cup sugar - or more if you prefer a sweeter sauce
4 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
4 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoons sesame oil
2 heaping teaspoons chili paste
1 large clove garlic
½ cup cornstarch
1 cup water

3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

In a medium saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and stir into boiling sauce. Turn heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickens and turns clear, about 2 minutes. Keep warm.

Plate chicken over cooked white rice and spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.


Let's get our sesame chicken on!! 
Let's get our sesame chicken on!!

Mix up the egg mixture then the flour mixture. Dunk the chicken in the egg then coat in flour. 
Mix up the egg mixture then the 
flour mixture. Dunk the chicken 
in the egg then coat in flour.

Fry it up! Then mix up the stuff for the sauce....fix your rice and ta-da! 
Fry it up! Then mix up the stuff for 
the sauce....fix your rice and ta-da!

You've got yourself some finger lickin' chicken....Asian style! 
You've got yourself some finger 
lickin' chicken....Asian style!

0 comments:

Post a Comment