Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Basic Scones

I had a lovely friend ask me for a scone recipe the other day. I sent her this one and have been thinking about them ever since. So this morning I decided to make them and then thought..."hey, I'm going to post these!" They were so good that I think I'll start talking with an English accent so I can enjoy the whole experience. Pip, pip cheerio and all that rot.

Basic Scones

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar (I like to use vanilla sugar)
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup cream
1 egg
Handful dried currants or dried cranberries

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening. In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Stir in fruit. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out to ½” thick and cut into biscuit size rounds. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (At this point, I like to brush some heavy cream on the scones and then sprinkle with vanilla sugar…but that’s optional.) Bake for 15 minutes or until brown. Serve with clotted cream. And tea, tea with jam, jam and bread. Makes 10 - 12 scones.



Before......


...after!

0 comments:

Post a Comment