Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Thursday, April 24, 2014

Polish Sausage Sandwiches

When IT Guy and I were young and could eat anything we wanted, one of our favorite places to go was Weinerschnitzle. Although I think back in the day (and by "day", I mean 1975) it was called Der Weinerschnitzle. Regardless, we'd go and enjoy their Polish Sausage sandwiches. There was one very near the little trailer we lived in that was very near my high school that was very near the miniature golf course where we had one of our first dates that was very near my old house in Tucson. We'd always eat outside, because back in the day there was no indoor seating, so we'd sit in the blistering heat of an Arizona afternoon and chow down on these bad boys. I haven't seen a Weinerschnitzle restaurant in years but I've always remembered these yummy sandwiches, so for me, the next best thing was to make them at home. These are good...really good...but I have to say that there's something about the ones from my newlywed years that will always be the best! 

Polish Sausage Sandwiches



1 pound package Polish Sausage
Rye bread ~ 8 slices
Swiss cheese ~ 4 slices (or 8 slices if you want cheese on the top and the bottom)
Mustard
4 Kosher Dill pickle spears

Cut sausages into 4 equal pieces. Then slice each piece lengthwise.

In a large skillet, lightly brown the sausage on each side. 

Apply mustard to each slice of bread.

Place a piece of cheese on 4 slices of bread. (Or all pieces if using 8 slices)

Then place 2 slices of the sausage halves on top.

Add a pickle slice between the kielbasa pieces and top with another piece of bread. 

Grill or wrap each sandwich in a piece of foil and heat in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes to warm through and melt the cheese. Or pop in the microwave for a few seconds. 

Makes enough for 4 sandwiches.



Here's the stuff to get you going.
Here's the stuff to get you going.


Cut the sausage in 1/4's then slice each piece in half lengthwise. Then grill 'em up.
Cut the sausage in 1/4's then slice 
each piece in half lengthwise. Then grill 'em up.


Mustard up the bread.
Mustard up the bread.


Then place the cheese, then the meat then a pickle on 4 slices of bread.
Then place the cheese, then the meat 
then a pickle on 4 slices of bread.


Top with another piece of cheese, if desired. At this point, you can grill them to melt the cheese or place in the oven or microwave to heat through.
Top with another piece of cheese, 
if desired. At this point, you can grill 
them to melt the cheese or place in
 the oven or microwave to heat through.


I wrapped mine in foil and threw them in the oven for about 10 minutes or so.
I wrapped mine in foil and threw 
them in the oven for about 10 minutes or so.


Enjoy!!!
Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment