Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Orange Poppy Seed Muffins

Years and years ago when I was a young mom, I got this recipe from another young mom. It's been a staple in my rotation for at least 20 years....maybe longer. Oh wait...how can that be when I'm only 19?? Hahahaha...I crack me up. Give these little muffin-y treasures a try this weekend and say "Barbara" when you eat one...cuz she's the one who gave me the recipe!


Orange Poppy Seed Muffins



1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup butter - melted
1 egg
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoon grated orange peel

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Spoon into a muffin tin lined with 12 baking cups. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until golden brown.

OPTION 1: For a sweet glaze, mix the juice of 1 orange (the rest of what you used for the muffin batter works), 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon grated orange peel and 1 teaspoon of butter. Cook in the top of a double boiler until warm and butter has melted. When muffins are out of the oven and still warm, pierce the tops several times with a fork, and then…holding the muffin by the base, dip the pierced tops down into the glaze and let it soak up some of the glaze for a few seconds. Let set…or not. Then eat.

OPTION 2: Stir 1 cup of dried cranberries (Craisins) into the batter before filling muffin cups.

Here's whatcha need....
Here's whatcha need....

....and here's whatcha get!!
....and here's whatcha get!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment