Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, July 12, 2013

Beef Carnitas

My mom is the queen of deals. She has a favorite grocery store around here that she hits up on Monday mornings because she knows they mark down their meats. She's always scoring good deals for me because she knows how much food I cook. Her latest deal was on stew meat so I had to come up with a dish to use stew meat. (Hey..it just dawned on me that my mom is planning my menus!! What's up with that???) Knowing that IT Guy loves Mexican food I decided carnitas would be a perfect use for the meat. I know I can always put a smile on IT Guy's face with food from south of the border!!

Beef Carnitas



3 pounds stew meat
2 tablespoons red chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
2 – 3 cloves of garlic – minced
1 14-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
1 onion - sliced

Spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray.

Place stew meat in the crock pot.

In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Stir well and then pour over meat in crock pot.

Cook on low 6 – 8 hours or on high 5 – 6 hours.

Serve in flour tortillas with cheese, salsa and sour cream.



Our ingredients. Oops...I don't see our onion!!


Place the meat in your crock 
pot then combine everything else.


Pour the mixed ingredients 
over the meat in the crock pot.


Throw the onion in there, too!


After it's cooked, remove the meat to a plate.


Then shred it up a little bit with two forks.


Put the meat back in the crock pot 
and give it a stir then serve it with 
some warmed flour tortilla and all the fixin's!

0 comments:

Post a Comment