Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Monday, March 4, 2013

Homemade Ravioli


I can now cross something off my list. Homemade ravioli! Aside from the fact that I wish I had a pasta machine or at least an attachment for my Kitchenaid...it was really fun! But, whew! Did my arms get a workout!!! These turned out really good and with just a few basic ingredients, you can have a great meal in a short amount of time!

Homemade Ravioli

 
5 cups flour ~ allow a bit more for flouring
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons olive oil
Milk

Place flour in a large bowl and make a "well" in the center.

Beat the eggs, water and olive oil together.

Pour egg mixture into "well" and stir to combine.
If the mixture seems a bit on the dry side, add a few splashes of milk. 

Turn dough out onto a well floured board and knead for about 5 minutes.

Cover dough and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
 
Here's the stuff for the ravioli. 
And milk...you MIGHT need that, too.

Put the flour in a large bowl 
and make a well in the center. 
Combine the eggs and the olive oil together.

Pour the egg mixture into the flour....

...and mix. I used my hand but 
you don't have to.

Cover the dough and allow it 
to rest for about 30 minutes.

Working with 1/4 of the 
dough at a time...

..and roll out to 1/16 of an inch. 
Trim off the uneven edges.

Filling

1 16-ounce container ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and set aside.

 
Combine the filling ingredients.

Like this!

Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll out to 1/16 of an inch, keeping remaining dough covered. 

Place heaping teaspoonfuls of filling onto dough about an inch apart on half of the dough.
Brush between filling with water.
Fold dough over onto itself and press gently to seal.
 Cut between fillings with a pastry cutter.
Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Boil some water in a large stock pot.
Drop ravioli into the boiling water and allow to cook about 2 minutes. 

Serve with your favorite sauce....homemade or jarred!

Makes about 4 dozen.


Place heaping teaspoonfuls of 
the filling on half of a rolled 
out piece of dough. Brush between 
the filling and all around the edges with water.

Fold the dough over onto 
itself and press down.

Using a pastry cutter, cut between 
the mounds of filling.

Drop into boiling salted water 
and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.

Serve with your favorite sauce!

0 comments:

Post a Comment