Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Monday, July 23, 2012

Blueberry Crisp

I'm not a big fan of blueberries...they're just okay. Actually, I like the taste but not the texture. But..my sister-in-law gave me some off of her bushes the other day so I figured I'd make....something...with them. IT Guy and #1 son like them so I figured a cobbler would make them happy. Guess what? I was right! Well...actually I made a crisp and they were happy with THAT. I had a small bowl and proclaimed it a success. I figure if someone like me can enjoy something I'm not too fond of, then someone who DOES like blueberries...would LOVE it!

Blueberry Crisp



4 cups blueberries, rinsed and lightly dried
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
Pinch salt

Topping Mixture

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons room temperature butter, cubed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a medium sized bowl, combine blueberries, cornstarch, sugar and salt.

In another bowl, combine flour, oats, brown and white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans. Cut in butter until mixture looks crumbly.

Add the blueberries into a small, greased baking dish. Top evenly with the crumb mixture. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Here we go! Looks like I forgot to put the flour in the picture. I did use it!
Here we go! Looks like I forgot to 
put the flour in the picture. I did use it!

Mix the blueberries, cornstarch and 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl.
Mix the blueberries, cornstarch 
and 1/3 cup sugar in a bowl.

Dump them in a greased dish. I used a 9x11 inch size.
Dump them in a greased dish. 
I used a 9x11 inch size.

Then mix up the topping ingredients. This is where the flour is supposed to go. You know..the flour I forgot to put in the picture up there.
Then mix up the topping ingredients. 
This is where the flour is supposed to go. 
You know..the flour I forgot to put in the picture up there.

I just mixed it with my fingers.
I just mixed it with my fingers.

Then sprinkle it on top of the blueberries. Then bake!
Then sprinkle it on top of the blueberries. 
Then bake!

Isn't it pretty????
Isn't it pretty????

0 comments:

Post a Comment