Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I love nougat candy. Not plain nougat, though. I like mine kicked up with stuff. My favorite candy in the whole world is See's Rum Nougat. I LOVE THEM!! I haven't had one in a long, long time because there are no See's stores here in SC except during the holiday season at the mall. When I go to CA or AZ to visit friends and family, I always stop and load up. Anyway...I decided to make my own nougat candy and it turned out pretty good, I have to say. I added pecans and dried cranberries to it so it wouldn't be boring. I enjoy making candy anytime of year...not just the holidays, but I'll be sure and return to this recipe when Christmas rolls around! If you enjoy a honey based candy, then this is really great. I have another nougat candy recipe that I'm going to make at some point that's more chewy than this one, so stay tuned!

Honey Nougat Candy



3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup hot water
2/3  cup honey
1 egg white, beaten until stiff peaks form
1 cups rough chopped pecans
½ cup Craisins

In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, water and honey until mixture reaches 270 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Remove from heat. Add the beaten egg white and whisk until combined. Add nuts and Craisins and beat mixture until it thickens.

Pour mixture into a greased 8x11 inch pan.

Allow to cool and cut into squares.



Here's the ingredients.


Combine the water, sugar and honey in a saucepan.


Boil until the mixture reaches 270 
degrees on a candy thermometer.


Whisk in the beaten egg whites.


Then stir in the nuts and Craisins.


Pour into a greased dish. Let it set up...


..then cut and eat!

4 comments:

  1. Loved your comment about Sees Rum nougat Hmmmm
    I'm lucky to live by Sees at 6 miles. Tyler Mall Corona.....have to get those and only those.
    Wow to see someone else feels the same is great!
    I'm happy to say I bought candied and dried fruit and was sitting down to compare nougat recipes from Food network chefs and Cookbook online. THEN I asked my great husband Mark to google how to on Sees Rum nougats. Here you are! In case you didn't know none of your pictures come through on line here. Anyway.its cold enough let me know if you would like a couple pounds shipped and Ill ppick up your order next time I go!
    Jan Robbins www.shadowmouintainstables.com
    408 705 3134 and email is janisrobbins@gmail.com
    Thank you for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan! I've googled my fingers off trying to find a recipe to even come close to See's rum nougats. Alas...it is not meant to be! Mary See must have her recipes locked down tighter than Fort Knox! This honey nougat candy is really good, although not the same as See's. I was raised in CA and AZ and had ready access to See's until I moved to the south. The only time I can find See's is around the holidays when there is a kiosk set up at the local mall. I can only buy the boxes....not individual pieces. :-( Your offer to pick some up for me was VERY sweet...thanks so much! And yes..I know my pictures aren't being seen. I'm not sure what the issue is with blogger. I have a Facebook page that has all the recipes from the blog so if you want to see the pictures you can find Simple Fare, Fairly Simple on FB. Thanks so much, again!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi again! It’s Jan Robbins! Found you again! My email
    Janisrobbins@Gmail.com was stolen by someone named Antonio Hernandez- remote grabbed my iPhone with all its content - took 4 days to get ATT to find the carrier it went to and while I was able to eventually get all the stolen funds out of my bank accounts- Google dud nothing to help me recover it. So anyway my new email is Jnoellrobbins@gmail.com and I’m gonna try to make Sees rum nougat candy. I bought rum extract and real rum and because the nougat part of Sees is not white but slightly brown I’m adding a bit of brown sugar! Wish me luck! Stay at home adventure with CoronaVirus. I can’t send you any so hot now- - and I never saw this reply so sorry we missed each other I’ll let you know how it goes how are you doing what’s it like where you are hope to hear from you soon I love all your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, how did the recipe turn out? Rum nougats are also my favorite!! But with Covid in full gear I have not made it to See’s (I’m close to you! I also go to the Tyler Mall or the See’s on Central)
    Anyway, if it turned out close, do you share?

    ReplyDelete