Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Thursday, February 9, 2012

Eating these little darlings makes me happy. How can a person NOT be happy eating pralines, toffee and cinnamon? This recipe made about 18 good sized scones and I think I could have eaten them all by myself. I sent some with my daughter to her work, gave a few more away and left the rest for me...I mean US...I left the rest for US!!! (evil grin....)

Praline Toffee Cinnamon Scones   



3 cups flour
2/3 cups sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter – chilled
1 egg
3/4 heavy cream or half & half
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup praline pecans (recipe follows)
1 12 ounce package toffee bits (divided use)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

Add the butter in chunks and mix with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Or you can use your mixer…just make sure all is combined well. I used my mixer but had to go back in with my hands to make sure it was well mixed.

Add the egg, heavy cream and vanilla and mix well.

Stir in pralines and 1 cup of the toffee bits.

Turn mixture out onto a floured surface and roll ½ inch thick. Cut into desired shape with a floured cutter. Place on cookie sheet about 1 ½ inches apart.

Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden and set. Allow to cool completely before glazing.


Glaze

4 cups Powdered Sugar                                                       
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt

Combine all ingredients and dip cooled scones into mixture.


Praline Pecans

1 ½ cups roughly chopped pecans
2/3 cup powdered sugar
Few drops of water (no more than a teaspoon or so)

Preheat oven to 350 degree.

Place chopped pecans on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Dump powdered sugar over pecans and mix with your hands. Drizzle a few drops of water over pecans and mix with your hands until nuts are “pasty”. Bake for 10 minutes until crunchy. Allow to cool then break into pieces.

Combine reserved toffee bits with Praline Pecans and sprinkle onto glazed scones.

Makes about 18 - 24 scones.



Here's the line-up.


Let's start with the praline pecans. These are SO easy. 
Sprinkle the pecans with some powdered sugar.


Toss it all around and make sure the pecans are coated with the powdered sugar. Then dribble some water over the coated nuts and toss with your hands until the nuts are pasty and sticky. Then bake 'em. Cool when done and use in the scone batter and on top of the scones.


Mix together the dry ingredients.


Mix in the butter. You can use a pastry cutter for this step.


Add the wet ingredients...including the egg.


Make sure the mixture is crumbly.


Make sure it's well blended then throw 
in the praline pecans and the toffee bits.


Turn the dough out onto a floured surface....


..then roll out like this.



Cut the scones into whatever shape you want. 
I used my circle cutter but you can use a sharp
knife to make little triangles if you want.


The glaze! Mix together the powdered sugar, 
cinnamon and a little salt.


Add the milk and vanilla.


Then dip the COOLED scones into 
the glaze and place them on a rack.


Mix the reserved praline pecans and toffee bits in a bowl. 
Then sprinkle some on each freshly dipped scone.


Like this!! See the yumminess?

0 comments:

Post a Comment