Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, December 16, 2011

Sometimes I think ideas are better in my head than when I execute them. Such was the case when I made this dish the other day. I had a different spin on enchiladas I wanted to try. I think this dish tasted great, but I will assemble it differently next time I try it...and maybe add some water to help cook the rice. Yeaaahhhh...nothing worse than a little bit of crunchy rice in an otherwise yummy casserole. Oh well, live and learn, I guess. Here's the corrected version of what I made the other day. I think this one is  MUCH better!



Green Chili Chicken Casserole



1 27-ounce can Hatch whole green chilies
1 16-ounce can red enchilada sauce
1 cup water
1 cup rice
8 - 10 chicken tenders
Salt to taste
1/2 small onion - diced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.

Drain green chilies and pat dry.

Cover the bottom of the prepared pan with the uncooked rice. Sprinkle with diced onion.

Wrap each chicken tender with a green chili. Salt to taste. I feel like the salt really brings out the flavor of the green chili so don't skip this step if you can help it.

Lay each wrapped chicken tender on top of the rice.

Combine the water and enchilada sauce and pour over the chicken/chili/rice combo in the pan.

Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes until hot and bubbly...AND THE RICE IS COOKED!!! ;-)

 
Here's the line-up. 
I show a 28-ounce can of enchilada sauce but you'll 
want to use a 16-ounce can with a cup of water.


 
Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with the 
rice and then the diced onions.


 
Wrap a chicken tender up in a whole green chili. 
Don't forget to salt!


 
Lay them in the pan on top of the rice and onion.


 
Then pour the enchilada sauce/water 
over the chicken/chilies.


 
Sprinkle with a couple of cups of shredded cheese. 
Bake it up until it's nice and hot. 
Let it stand for a few minutes before serving.


 
Very tasty..even if mine did have some crunchy rice!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment