Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, October 21, 2011

I have recently discovered orzo. How great is that stuff? This is the second casserole I've used it in and I just love it! And this dish turned out so yummy! And..it made a lot. It easily feeds 8 or so people but you can certainly cut it in half for a smaller crowd. It would be great for a potluck, too. After I got this casserole all made up, I put some in a smaller dish and put it in the freezer for later. Creamy and delicious is the name of the game here!



Creamy Chicken and Orzo



1 1-pound box Orzo pasta - cooked until al dente
3 cups diced cooked chicken
1 bell pepper - diced
1 small onion - diced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1  cup heavy cream
1 ½ cups shredded cheese
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook orzo until almost done.

In a large skillet, saute onion and bell pepper until soft.

Combine cooked orzo, diced chicken and cooked onion/bell pepper mixture in a large bowl. Set aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and cook until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add cream. Cook, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken mixture and stir well to combine.

Transfer to a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Bake for 30 – 45 minutes or until bubbly.


Here's what you need. I used a store-bought rotisserie 
chicken...my BFF in poultry recipes!


Saute the onion and bell pepper until soft.


Add the onion/pepper mixture to the chopped 
chicken and cooked orzo in a large bowl.


Melt the butter in a saucepan then stir in the flour.


Add the cream and cook until bubbly. Add salt and pepper.


Then add the cheese and stir until melted.


Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken mixture in the large bowl.


Stir until well mixed then pour into a greased 
casserole dish. Bake it up until....


..you get this!!! Oh, yum!!

Copyright © 2011 Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! I love orzo and haven't made it in a while. You have inspired me to make some orzo and this dish looks fantastic! The perfect weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's delicious, Jennifer! You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete