Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What a fun surprise this turned out to be! If you like pizza, then you will love this! I had never cooked with orzo before this dish. It looks like rice, but it's really pasta! And talk about easy! It's one of those dishes that comes together in a flash and leaves you wondering why you've never made it before now! It was GREAT leftover! In fact, my daughter pulled it out of the fridge to have some for dinner last night and my son made sure she knew NOT to eat it all. Do grown kids ever stop policing one another? I guess I should take it as a compliment that they were fussing over my food, huh?

Italian Sausage 
with Peppers and Orzo



1 1-pound box orzo pasta
1 pound Italian sausage
1 sweet onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 clove of garlic
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
Salt & Pepper to taste
32 ounces of chicken stock

Saute onion and garlic in a large skillet with some olive oil until tender.

Add Italian sausage and cook until almost done. Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and diced peppers and cook until sausage is cooked through.

Cook orzo according to package directions except use chicken stock in place of SOME water.

Add cooked orzo to skillet with sausage mixture and heat through.




Here's all you need for this easy dish!
 

Saute the onions and garlic for a 
bit then add the italian sausage.
 

Cook that until crumbly then add 
in the peppers, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
 

Cook the orzo....
 

...then add it to the skillet with 
the meat and peppers.
 

Give it a stir to heat through then serve!

0 comments:

Post a Comment