Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Friday, November 26, 2010

Cherry Icebox Cookies

Cookie # 26 is:

Cherry Icebox Cookies

Does anyone ever use the term "icebox" anymore? Does anyone even know what it means? Does anyone even care? Moving on. These cookies are SO yummy. And so easy to whip together. The finished product yields a light cookie with a slight cherry flavor....IT Guy couldn't get away from them. I made a whole recipe, but only cooked one "log" and froze the rest. If he knew there was more cookie dough in the freezer, I'm sure I'd be baking today. Since IT Guy is pretty hands-on with SFFS, I'm sure those cookies will not be frozen for long! I think I just ratted myself out.


Cherry Icebox Cookies



1 cup butter – 2 sticks
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
2 2/3 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ salt
¾ candied red cherries

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well mixed. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients then add to the butter mixture. Mix just until a dough forms. Stir in chopped cherries.

Divide the dough into thirds. Place each third on a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper. Smooth and shape dough into evenly shaped rectangles measuring about 7 inches long and 2 inches wide. Then thoroughly wrap the shaped logs in the paper, twisting ends to seal. Chill at least three hours or up to three days. Or freeze for up to one month.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Using a thin bladed knife, slice logs into ¼ inch slices. Place on prepared pans about 2 inches apart and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.

About 6 dozen cookies


Let's get going!
 

Beat the sugar and butter until fluffiness occurs. 
Five minutes or so. Then add in the egg and vanilla.
 

Add the dry stuff....
 

..then the chopped cherries.
 

Turn the dough out and...
 

....divide into thirds.
 

Wrap each one and chill or freeze.
 

Slice and bake.
 

Cherry goodness.

Copyright © 2010 Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. All rights reserved.

0 comments:

Post a Comment