Welcome!

Welcome to Simple Fare, Fairly Simple. This is a place for me to post recipes of all kinds...along with other miscellaneous fodder from my so-called life here in the south. Who knows what you will find here. Could be anything from my husband...known as IT Guy...to my kids and beautiful grandbabies that are growing up way too fast right before my eyes. But...mostly this will be a place for food. I hope you'll see something you like and if you decide to try something from the list...leave me a comment and let me know!



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Village Chicken

If you’ve ever been to Macaroni Grill and had their Penne Rustica, then you might like my version of it. Super simple to make and great for leftovers, too!

Village Chicken

5 chicken breasts – grilled then sliced ½” thick
1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes - undrained
½ cup heavy cream
1- 2 cups chicken stock
½ onion – chopped
1 clove garlic – finely chopped
Olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon red chili flakes (or less for less heat)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 cups uncooked penne pasta – cooked and drained
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided
2 cups bread crumbs
4 tablespoons butter – melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. I also use Lawry’s Seasoned Salt. A staple in my kitchen. Grill chicken. (I use my Foreman on this step but you can grill them outside or in a grill pan.) Let chicken sit for about 10 minutes before slicing.

In a large hot skillet, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add salt, pepper, chili flakes and oregano. Add tomatoes and heavy cream and 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Add chicken stock and heat through. Add sliced chicken and pasta then mix well. You can leave this in the skillet or transfer it to a 9x13 pan.

In a small bowl, mix 2 cups bread crumbs with ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese and melted butter. Sprinkle over chicken/pasta mixture and bake for about 20 – 30 minutes until bread crumbs are crispy and mixture is heated through. Serve with warm French bread.

** You can substitute some shrimp for a chicken breast or two if you want a mixture. Still delicious!


Great dish for a crowd !!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment